(urth) FW: May 2014 Wolfe interview in _Technology Review_

entonio at gmail.com entonio at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 07:49:03 PDT 2014

No dia 02/08/2014, às 12:50, Gerry Quinn <gerry at bindweed.com> escreveu:

> On 01/08/2014 22:20, Lee wrote:
>>
>> We are presented with two scenarios for the origin of Shadow Children.
>>
>> 1. They are the original inhabitants of the St Anne who evolved from shadowy, telepathic, underground creatures who become abos on their first encounter with humans.
>>
>> 2. They are the "(d)evolved" result of shipwrecked humans living on Ste Anne and chewing that weird hallucinogenic stuff.
>>
>> Stories are told which support each scenario to the point of cancelling each other out.
>
> Shadow Children are referenced only in the second novella of the trilogy.  The entire novella takes the form of an SF mystery in which 'scenario 2' is slowly elucidated.  In all, quite a number of pages are carefully devoted to elucidating this scenario.  It is stated as a fact several times.
>
> Where do you find a story that supports 'scenario 1'?

Keeping it all Wolfean there's the question - are the scenarios different in the end? (We do know the end is the same!, since the end is what we are trying to explain).

I found the observation, in the interview, that a guy who got dematerialised and then rematerialised, actually dies, very interesting. Wolfe had that in mind from the start when he got into exploring identity, and that puts a whole new perspective into it, which I haven't yet had the leisure to study.