(urth) FW: May 2014 Wolfe interview in _Technology Review_

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Sat Aug 2 04:50:30 PDT 2014

On 01/08/2014 22:20, Lee wrote:

> We are presented with two scenarios for the origin of Shadow Children.
>
> 1. They are the original inhabitants of the St Anne who evolved from shadowy, telepathic, underground creatures who become abos on their first encounter with humans.
>
> 2. They are the "(d)evolved" result of shipwrecked humans living on Ste Anne and chewing that weird hallucinogenic stuff.
>
> Stories are told which support each scenario to the point of cancelling each other out.

Shadow Children are referenced only in the second novella of the
trilogy.  The entire novella takes the form of an SF mystery in which
'scenario 2' is slowly elucidated.  In all, quite a number of pages are
carefully devoted to elucidating this scenario.  It is stated as a fact
several times.

Where do you find a story that supports 'scenario 1'?

- Gerry Quinn