(urth) Baldanders' dream

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Sun Aug 24 08:45:23 PDT 2014

On 24/08/2014 15:09, Lee wrote:
>> Gerry Quinn:
>>
>> No, and for all we know they could both be champion footballers too.
>> But we can only identify positive aspects of characters in books given
>> by the author, and no common personality characteristics seem to be
>> given to Echidna and the Cumaean.
> I am unclear as to why football is pertinent to this discussion. But I find cave
> dwelling, marriage to Typhon, snake association, witchcraft and human sacrifice
> to be a sufficient constellation of traits to link these two Wolfean literary
> characters via their mythological connections.

Football is as pertinent to the Cumaean as virgin acolytes and a desire
to rule.  That is to say, the personality characterics of the Cumaean as
written resemble those of Echidna about as much as they resemble those
of Lionel Messi.

Nor do I recall Typhon asking after his wife when Severian subsequently
encountered him.

Should not these chains of allusion, if they are intended to be
meaningful, dip at some point into the personaities or storyline
encountered in the text?

It's true that in the promiscuously retconned mythologies of Ancient
Greece and elsewhere, characters absorbed characteristics from each
other such that probably no two characters in myth can be seen as
entirely separate.  That seems reason enough in itself to take the
position that a relatively vague link has no significance in terms of
identifying characters associated with the particular mythological
characters.

- Gerry Quinn