(urth) Baldanders' dream

Lee severiansola at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 24 07:09:09 PDT 2014

>Gerry Quinn: In mythology, snakes and caves also did not uniquely identify a
>character.

You are looking for simplistic one to one correspondence. Mythology (and Wolfe

being highly influenced by mythology) do not work in such an orderly and

direct manner.

Pagan gods were exported and imported from other cultures and separated and

conflated in ways which make it impossible to identify most of them as simply

one god by name or "personality". Hence the need for multiple epithets for the

various gods, as Wolfe emphasized in Short Sun.

>And the Cumaean is not indicated to share the characteristic of multiplicity

>with Tzadkiel

Given that they are both aliens who have more than one, sometimes animalistic,

shape, I find the deduction to be heuristic. If one is familiar with the Judeo-

Christian principle that some angels fell to earth to become demons and that

these demons usually have counterparts in pagan gods, (e.g. Lucifer, the "light

bringer"and Prometheus), the connection becomes more clear.

Aliens such as Tzadkiel and B, F and O represent angels of the Urth story

so one may deduce that the aliens residing on Urth represent fallen angels or demons

such as Abaia,Typhon, The Cumaean and Father Inire. I, personally, find the analogy

useful to understanding the BotNS story.

>No, and for all we know they could both be champion footballers too.
>But we can only identify positive aspects of characters in books given
>by the author, and no common personality characteristics seem to be
>>given to Echidna and the Cumaean.

I am unclear as to why football is pertinent to this discussion. But I find cave

dwelling, marriage to Typhon, snake association, witchcraft and human sacrifice

to be a sufficient constellation of traits to link these two Wolfean literary

characters via their mythological connections.

>Their speech patterns are also completely different - and these are
>something that Wolfe worked extremely hard on in Long Sun.  Had he
>wanted to identify Echidna with the Cumaean, he would have made her
>speak like the Cumaean.

Likewise Pas and Typhon possess strikingly different "speech patterns", "personalities"

and other traits. Are you suggesting that Pas and Typhon are unrelated characters?

Spring Wind also differed from Typhon, just as young Alexander differed from middle-aged

Alexander. We must expect personality changes when a character finds him/herself in

different circumstances.

I think the transformation from Urthly demon to electronic Whorl god is the likely

source of such differences and, as such, fully intended by Wolfe.