(urth) Overthinking/Underthinking "The Fifth Head of Cerberus"

Marc Aramini marcaramini at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 13:08:03 PDT 2014

I should stop, but I just can't.

The story also tells us Victor falls to his death ... I actually believe
what the story tells me there.

 You see how you have to admit that some scenes are fabrications or
unreliable to proceed, and even you aren't immune from dismissing whole
scenes that are clearly depicted in the text?

You are likely to say that is the ONLY scene because it serves a narrative
purpose.  I believe that the tree reaching for Victor, the mites that
infect people, the shadow children riding up from the mud in currents, the
damaged legs of the young firl and the paralyzed legs of Aunt Jeanine, the
climactic bite in A Story, and the symbolism of shadow children riding the
shoulders of Marsh men all serve a narrative purpose too.