(urth) Overthinking/Underthinking "The Fifth Head of Cerberus"

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Sat Aug 16 09:39:09 PDT 2014

On Fri, 1 Aug 2014 09:07:24 , Lee wrote:

 >//> /Gerry Quinn: But The Old Wise One is NOT a Shadow Child. He is
not physical, /
 >//>/but created from the consciousness of the nearby Shadow Children
and (as an
/>//>/increasing proportion) Sandwalker. It's very clear that the Shadow /
 >//>/Children are solid humanoid creatures (if they were not, they would /
 >//>/provide unsatisfying meals for the Marshmen), and that the Old
Wise One /
 >//> /(whom Sandwalker first assumes to be a ghost, and who notes that
once he
//>///>/was sometimes called the Group Norm) is different. /

 >//An interesting theory. I like it!

What do you think of my theory that Mr. Million is an electronic
simulation?  Because I thought up that in the same way. It's simply what
Wolfe tells us.

 >  It does explain why the Old Wise One is intangible
 >//while the others can be eaten. I must wonder why Sandwalker would
start to be
 >//incorporated in this telepathic construct when he doesn't chew the
weed, and
 >//isn't the same species as Shadow Children.

Recall the speech of the Old Wise One when he speaks of the two peoples
- the ones who "used their hands, when they had hands, only to take
food", and the others who "crossed from star to star". "Then if was
found that the first heard the songs of the second and sent them out
again, greater than before.  Then the second felt thir songs more
strongly in all their bones - but touched, perhaps by the first."

 > I think Sandwalker's incorporation
 >//would be evidence that Abos and Shadow Children are of the same
original,
 >//telepathic species.

Maybe so, but the story tells us otherwise.

- Gerry Quinn