(urth) FW: May 2014 Wolfe interview in _Technology Review_

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Wed Aug 6 05:21:44 PDT 2014

On 05/08/2014 22:58, entonio at gmail.com wrote:
> It's been a long time since I've read the book, but I don't recall thinking of the Shadow Children as human at all. I'm not saying that I rejected the idea of their being human, I'm saying that when I read the book it didn't register on me that they were or might be human. Was their description pictorial? Why are they assumed to be human?

They - in the shape of the Old Wise One talking to Sandwalker - tell us
the story of how Sandwalker's people were a race of shape-changers who
imitated the original human explorers.  The latter discovered a drug
that gave them telepathic powers which they used to keep other humans
away, as they themselves devolved into the Shadow Children.  The OWO
specifically refers to humans as "my race".

- Gerry Quinn