(urth) "been teaching literature for over 35 years"

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Mon Sep 9 06:50:09 PDT 2013

From: David Stockhoff
On 9/9/2013 8:42 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:

> > It doesn't matter (in engineering terms) whether stuff that reaches the
> > event horizon goes somewhere else or not (that's kind of the definition
> > of an event horizon).  But an accretion disk outside the Schwarzschild
> > radius is just standard dynamics for any super-condensed object.  At a
> > distance of several Schwarzschild radii, Newtonian physics will be
> > reasonably accurate (albeit not in detail).

> Which is why I don't like the idea that the object has non-Newtonian
> effects outside/beyond the Sun.

Well, it could emit penetrating particles that have a heating effect when
absorbed by matter.

Say it emitted a large pulse of particles similar to neutrinos, with a
sufficiently small capture cross section that they could go through the
Earth without much attenuation, but still much more absorbable by matter
than neutrinos.  If you give them a penetration depth of several Earth
diameters, then for every 10^12 tons or so mass-equivalent emitted in this
form from the sun, you would heat the Earth by one degree.  A few hundred
times that amount emitted over a period of might be enough to restart
tectonic activity.  However, you then have the problem that it needs to be
emitted over a rather long period, or the seas would boil, and the land
would also become uncomfortably hot.  I think however if this radiation was
absorbed chiefly by iron and similar heavy metals, life-threatening
consequences would be mitigated, especially if the pulse lasted a few hours.
(This should also prevent dramatic consequences for Jupiter and Saturn.
Skuld might have problems, though, if it is still inhabited.)

- Gerry Quinn