(urth) "been teaching literature for over 35 years"

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Mon Sep 9 05:42:40 PDT 2013

From: Jeffery Wilson
On 9/9/2013 4:58 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:

> > I'm sure - Wolfe's lack of detail wins again - one could find an
> > argument for how cooling might occur.  But on first principles, I'd
> > expect a black hole dropped into the sun to have a warming effect.

> In the late 1970s conception,  a black hole is an Einstein-Rosenbridge to
> somewhere else; Abbadon in Urth's case. It's supposed to be literally
> sending part of the sun's substance and generated energy *away*.  The
> remaining star is diminished in output per unit mess as well, as lighter
> stars are.

It doesn't matter (in engineering terms) whether stuff that reaches the
event horizon goes somewhere else or not (that's kind of the definition of
an event horizon).  But an accretion disk outside the Schwarzschild radius
is just standard dynamics for any super-condensed object.  At a distance of
several Schwarzschild radii, Newtonian physics will be reasonably accurate
(albeit not in detail).

- Gerry Quinn