(urth) symbols, motifs, and extra textual relevance vs. onomastic onanism

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 27 05:55:59 PDT 2013

And no sooner had I posted that, with the claim that Wolfe's normal mode of transposition of seemingly unrelated things implied a connection, when I looked again at the section where #5 meets the Black Queen, and it implied she was counterpart to some white queen our narrator would never meet, and the name Aubrey really does mean ruler of the elves or something close, and immediately after he meets his aunt he dreams of the abos with their spears and grass coverings, that very night, he is certain.

(and she does float down the helical staircase to catch the almost definitely genetically human Number 5 rather easily - evading the natural genetic code to become something?)

Oddly enough, her first claim about Veil's hypothesis is to deny it as fifty pounds of theory built on nothing (and a Veil does by definition cover a true face).  She reflects on "perfect" copies and what that implies - and there she has those nonfunctional, tiny legs. So I guess Sean's examination is not entirely based on the French name; I just get turned off by interpretations that rely too much on those kind of possibly unintentional associations.  I do see what he is getting at, but remain a bit skeptical.