(urth) Time, Not Cloning

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Jul 31 15:18:20 PDT 2013

On 7/31/2013 4:54 PM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
> I don't think she exists at all during the year, but is projected anew
> each feastday. While she is there, Aquastor-Katherine may not disperse
> from the loss of her head, because that is the entire purpose of her
> casting, in either sense of the word. I'd like to include a persuasive way
> to connect the her appearance to Sev's mother's and/or the Contessa-woman
> at the Path of Air, but it may be a coincidence.
>
> I think the link may be the Yesodis' working backward through Urthly time,
> because the night of Sev's elevation is also the first posthumous
> apparition of Aquastor-Malrubius, and Sev experiences an unknown ill
> feeling about the time he is to play-behead Katherine, perhaps a sign of
> his mind and body being probed.

Severian's real-time mother and the projection machine are separated by
chiliads at least. I guess the unanswerable question is whether the
machine can be used to project new eidolons (when the old ones wear
out?) or is stuck playing the same old 8-track tapes forever. That, or
how many times can a person be cloned over millennia? Otherwise, barring
time travel, it must be a coincidence.

Do you propose that the Yesodis made the ancient Katherine from Sev's
mom? I wonder if going back to the Katherine story that preceded BNS
might help here.