(urth) Time, Not Cloning

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 31 11:58:20 PDT 2013

>David Stockhoff:>>Yes. My assumption has always been that this unstable
>matter comes from Yesod, i.e., a "higher" universe, since the Otherworld/Land
>of the Dead is where ghosts and such come from, and since Yesod obviously
>controls it this matter. But a ghost could come from anywhere if the gods will it.

I like this idea David. I could see matter from Yesod appearing silvery in Briah.
Reminds me of Asimov's The Gods Themselves, where matter from a higher universe
is unstable in a lower universe because strong nuclear force is of different
strength. Plus it fits in with what I think is a general plan by Wolfe in BotNS
to put a scientific slant on mythology.

>Jeff Wilson- the Yesod-source supposition is true at least some of the
>time; Apheta explains Yesod is naturally all energy and the only material
>bodies there are the ones the Yesodis make from that energy - though the
>only visible energy in Yesod is the light from those bodies they have made
>(or will make), including what appear to be artificial stars and planets,
>and what is seen through peepholes into Briah.

Hm intersting. I'm not a physicist, but can't energy be defined as unstable
matter, in some Einsteinian sense?

>But I recall from Cyriaca's uncle's story that a form of eidolon was
>invented on Urth at some point, where the machines entrusted with the care
>of mankind were able to give everyone an "invisible friend", and
>apparently the machines went a bit further before they broke down.

Hm yes. Surely a "guardian angel" reference. And in BotNS, don't angels
come from Yesod? Malrubius, Triskele and B, F and O (well maybe not O)
seem like they might fit the bill.

>I think this, along the great gathering of books and technology into the citadel
>will support a new hypothesis on the nature of Holy Katherine, that she is
>a simple eidolon/aquastor projected for the Torturer's benefit by some of
>the remaining salvaged machinery, explaining why she is the same age each
>year, survives beheading, and is placidly compliant.

I like this idea, Jeff. Especially since I am basically all in on the idea that
the Holy Katharine maid (and her doppelgangers found here and there in the story)
do represent Severian's mother in some fashion. Since Severian seems inexplicably
endowed with immortality and superpowers, it makes some sense that he might have
a mother who is composed of the stuff of angels.

I guess a year's worth of eating and drinking Urth food would be enough ingestion of
stable matter for the maid to not shatter into silver shards when she is beheaded.