(urth) This Week in Google Alerts: more _Land Across_

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Sun Dec 29 10:08:57 PST 2013

From: Gwern Branwen

http://jdbookreview.com/gene-wolfe-no-comparison/ interview:

'Gene Wolfe easily admits to being a supernatural being.  How else to
explain his famous comment that editor Damon Knight, whose ORBIT series of
anthologies helped launch Wolfe’s career, “grew me from a bean…”?'

Hmm, if we are to assume it was a black bean, it would not make him the
nicest kind of supernatural being!  [I'm assuming that the story of the
black beans cast into the sea in BotNS is meant to refer to the origin of
Abaia, Erebus and the rest.]

- Gerry Quinn