(urth) The Land Across Discussion (Spoilers!)

Antonin Scriabin kierkegaurdian at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 06:25:27 PST 2013

Welcome Piotr!

I took that scene literally ... that Martya had sewing scissors or
something like that in her purse, and used them to turn Volitain away!

I think your and Andrew's suggestion makes a lot of sense: the hand belongs
to the girl behind the mirror, and that Papa Zenon's burial wasn't *just *a
burial, but some ritual intended to enchant the hand.  The hand (or more
accurately, the spirit it is attached to) is friendly and protective
towards Grafton because he put an end to the wait behind the mirror and got
her a proper burial.

The girl with the red pen wasn't a waitress, she was a patron in the cafe I
believe.  I'm not sure what to think of her.