(urth) Editor in China requesting help with translation of certain sentences in BotNS

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Dec 16 15:35:36 PST 2013

Blue cheeks are cheeks with one-day stubble (if you have black hair and
pale skin).

Otherwise, I agree. The Solitaire question is especially interesting,
since Wolfe could not possibly have slipped those in without working out
a system. An elector is an HRE prince
(archbishop/count/duke/margrave/king), thus probably taking the place of
the jack.

I can only assume, given the milieu, that the king is an autarch, who of
course has no queen so the queen becomes a patroness. This sounds like
an ecclesiastical rank but it could mean "patrona" (city patroness) or
female "patron saint."

Either way, one must wonder who it is that the elector elects. Could the
autarchy originally have been at least theoretically elective?

(There seem to be very few noble titles in the Commonwealth; the highest
title I can recall is "waldgrave." The autarch can't allow any ranks
near his own.)