(urth) Short Story 51: How I Lost the Second World War ...

Tony Ellis tonyellis69 at btopenworld.com
Sat Aug 24 12:17:44 PDT 2013

From: Mo Holkar

> I have wondered 'why Bath?' In real life it's a
> smallish antiquated town, with no industrial
> tradition, and not at all a likely candidate for
> the hosting of such an exposition. Yet, being
> Wolfe, one feels there must be some reason why he chose it.

Wolfe says in Castle of Days that his mother's family was from there,
and that he's always wanted to see the place. (From a Letter to Nancy
Kress)

Also, once you've dismissed London for being too obvious, it's a very
good choice for an exposition. It's an historic town, rather than an
antiquated one, in the heart of England, with a longstanding tradition
of high culture, leisure and tourism.