(urth) silk, the dancing toy, gods in the tunnels‏

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 30 04:31:27 PDT 2013

>Marc Aramini: ..but I have in the past received responses like "NO NO NO" from him

Good point. Evidence that there is a part of him which strongly hopes his readers
will "get it right".

>Antonio Pedro Marques: But then again that may only mean he's got a whole different
>perspective from yours, that he wants you to know. It doesn't mean yours is wrong,
>it lives on its own merit. There are readings I feel cannot have been part of the
>author's intentions, but if they hadn't been put forward by someone, how would the
>rest of us come across by their charms?

It would be interesting to learn how Often Wolfe has gain new insight on his own
writing from a reader.

>...And a lot of the nuance is lost on me as a foreigner!

I'm guessing it doesn't happen so often but frustration could magnify the occasional
occurrence into seeming greater.

I remember one debate over the connection (or lack of one) between "vine" and "liana"
among native english speakers. Once I think Wolfe's long residence in the "Midwest"
region of the USA came into play. Our personal life's experience surely affect us
all as Wolfe readers. Being raised Catholic probably helps some readers understand
Wolfe better than I ever could, on certain issues.