(urth) Short Story 49: Westwind

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Mon Aug 19 03:47:32 PDT 2013

From: Marc Aramini

> Is the old lame woman’s indictment of the Department of Truth getting
> their spittle
>  on the message of the ruler a kind of back handed slap at either world
> governments
> or organized religions bringing their own spin to so many factors of the
> spiritual
> world?  Maybe.

I haven't read the story, but it sounds like organised religion.

As for connections to other stories, the appearance of God on a screen is
surely reminiscent of Book of the Short Sun!  I think quite a few things
that appear in Wolfe's later long works start as ideas that are used in
earlier short fiction.  For example, as I've mentioned before, the tall
exultants in BotNS remind me of the ruling class in Silhouette.

- Gerry Quinn