(urth) Short Story 49: Westwind

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 15 07:03:11 PDT 2013

   I spoke of the west wind in the bible making the plague of locusts dissipate into the red sea, and the east wind bringing so many travails and scorching hardships, but I failed to mention the counterpoint to Wolfe's character of the previous year, Eastwind, the disciple of Last Voice in "A Story by John V. Marsch", who is later credited with being the ancestor of the aborigines and greeting the human landers on St. Anne by the elder Trencher (even though he had no testicles).  I had not brought into my analysis in Fifth Head the significance of the Eastern Wind biblically, but I do feel this short story has a far more benign and less twisted motivation - healing rather than excoriation (remember that East Wind must beat Last Voice to death with weighted flails/roots).