(urth) Thecla's "Identity"

Ross Arlen Tieken ross.a.tieken at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 09:46:50 PDT 2013

You're more than welcome!
I would study good 'ol Julius, but he's doing something different with
occultism by incorporating a strange un-Hindu Hinduism a la Blavatsky.
Also, talk about career suicide. I'm already skirting sudden death by
studying anyone who was involved with nationalism... or Catholicism
which is almost as bad to the post-modern academy. Evola would be a
highway to hell in a handbag.
I also personally do not share his worldview and social critique
although I recognize its power. I think too much self-reflexive
occultism & esotericism is not a good thing; Orthodoxy is esoteric
enough without pulling arcane antics. Again, Pound didn't see that--
Eliot certainly did, and so did the Catholic liturgical theologian Odo
Casel. You should check out The Mystery of Christian Worship.
If I didn't know better, I'd say Wolfe had read Casel--that Severian,
when he takes Thecla's body and the Autarch's body, is participating
in the Christian Eucharist, along with Horn/Silk when he sacrifices at
the Altar of the Neighbors in On Green's Jungles (of bread and wine?!
Could you be any more clear, Gene?).
Wolfe has said that Severian "is a Christian," not an allegorical
Christ figure. But it seems that Severian is so Christ-like... a
savior, he carries a cross (Terminus Est; in English "It is the end."
Christ's last words: Summatum Est "It is finished" [John 19:30]). But
Severian, if he is a Christian (according to Odo Casel, Gregory Dix,
and other orthodox Catholic Eucharistic theology), he is a member of
Christ's mystical body! This, I think could help us understand Wolfe's
assertion: Christ only came once, but His mystical body lasts for all
time. Wolfe accidentally (or not accidentally, I can't decide which)
engages with an ancient understanding of Christian worship constantly
throughout the Solar Cycle. I actually don't see how it's possible to
understand the Solar Cycle without looking at Wolfe's Catholic
Modernist bent.
But anyway, Evola's not playing the same card game. Or at least , he's
got some cards up his sleeve from a different deck.

Also, don't steal this without attributing me, please. I'm sharing
this with y'all because this mailing list is such a wonderful idea.
I'm writing something about this as we speak--and I'll give y'all a
link when I'm finished.

Ross Arlen Tieken
Religious Studies
Rice University