(urth) paleolithic, dendritic, and predendritic cultures

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Wed Apr 3 16:48:57 PDT 2013

From: David Stockhoff

> That's true, but Marc's observation is that Wolfe made it up. Maybe
> there should be such a designation, and maybe it would be especially
>  appropriate for the two planets, but either way it's a fabrication. And
> either Marsch was a giant among anthropologists as the guy who
>  coined this new term, or he's full of sh*t.
>
> I am not sure we can ever really say which it is, but plainly Wolfe is
> pulling our legs. Either way. It reminds me of the W/Vernor Vinge
> error---one of those revealing mistakes.

It may be that sometime between now and the twenty-ninth century or
whenever, such a term will come into use, perhaps with regard to wood and
forest based cultures.

Obviously the idea of stages/ages is a somewhat arbitrary taxonomy in any
case; they are probably among the most 'socially constructed' of all
scientific terms.

- Gerry Quinn