(urth) Literal or metaphor?

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 14 10:29:21 PDT 2013

>David Stockhoff- Granting, of course, that "bull" could designate a
>moose as well as a steer. But I agree that Horn's family is named
>around the animal *most *Earth people, especially around the
>Mediterranean (and including the ancient Egyptians, thus influencing
>Greek mythology), have used for leather, meat, and glue for thousands
>of years. I'm curious what else Roy thought it might be.

It was a number of years ago. But IIRC, the debate started when someone
else speculated that the name of a certain character, (maybe Patera Bull
or even Bison?) was suggestive of him being related to Horn. I think it
was Roy's general contention that Vironese names were picked (by Wolfe)
at random and any connections between them were personal inventions and
shouldn't be to be used to find extra-curricular meaning. I remember asking
Roy if he might concede that if not bovine then ungulate connections tied
the male names of Horn's family together, but he never responded. That may
have marked the end of Roy's participation on this board. A shame, but
understandable.

I think the Long Sun naming falls along the same lines as saint names in
BotNS.  Some, like Dorcas, are clearly significant while most are not.
Perhaps most of the plant and animal names of Viron were not picked with
significant meanings but others like the Silk-Chenille-Tussah cluster or
most obviously the Potto-Tarsier-Lemur, et al. group clearly were intended
to imply connection.

In addition to connections surely some names like Blood, Quetzal or Remora or Bison were meant to reflect certain obvious or hidden attributes of the individual, themselves.