(urth) Literal or metaphor?

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sun Apr 14 05:48:23 PDT 2013

On 4/14/2013 12:41 AM, Lee Berman wrote:

> (FWIW, I once had a debate with Roy Lackey about whether the names of
> Horn and his family are meant to designate a connection via bovines. I
> recently noticed that when Horn and Pig are trying to decide a Vironese
> name for him, the big guy suggests "Bull" for himself and Horn smiles
> and says, "People would think we were related". So I think that resolves
> that.

Granting, of course, that "bull" could designate a moose as well as a
steer. But I agree that Horn's family is named around the animal *most
*Earth people, especially around the Mediterranean (and including the
ancient Egyptians, thus influencing Greek mythology), have used for
leather, meat, and glue for thousands of years. I'm curious what else
Roy thought it might be.

But that's a classic Wolfe info-tidbit drop.