(urth) fifth head owlet- wolf‏‏

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 11 14:03:46 PDT 2013

>David Stockhoff: ---I don't see what those points have to do with one another,
>or rather, why they have to point in that direction. I agree that the theme of 5HC
>seems to be staleness and stasis. But so what, then, if the changelings of the twin
>planets are worthless as humans? I would expect nothing less. What angel would even
>want to uplift them?

? Well...then it sounds like we are in agreement. The worlds of 5HoC are like Urth
but without a Severian, or B, F and O or Tzadkiel or Yesod. Degenerating with no
hope of reprieve.

I still think Gene Wolfe's worldview showed increased positivity from his writing in
the 70's as it progressed to the present. We could argue that it was a reflection of
his continued rise to prominence and acclaim. Or his movement from the dreary world of
mechanical engineering to the artistic heights of being a successful author.
Or we could hypothesize about his increasing belief in the uplifting power of angels.
Or maybe all of them.