(urth) Thecla's "Identity"

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 18:13:06 PDT 2013

No dia 05/04/2013, às 01:17, Marc Aramini <marcaramini at yahoo.com> escreveu:

> Wolfe does way more mythological and religious references than 20th century ones.

And yet I like it, for the simple reason that that would mean Wolfe took bits of his characters out of real ones, instead of inventing them (as he does with words). I don't think that necessarily tells us anything deep about the stories, but it would be interesting if real life characters could be found as inspiration for specific ones in the books. (NB that this is the opposite of wanting to find similarities at all costs in order to support some given point.) Something like: this is a story about these themes, these characters have this symbolism, and yet at the surface level they are made from material taken from real people which don't have to have anything to do with the themes or symbols - just like rags and beads have nothing to do with skin and yet can be made into dolls.