(urth) Inhumi eyes and names

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 28 12:39:15 PDT 2012

--- On Fri, 9/28/12, Daniel Petersen <danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com> wrote:

Yeah, admitting that the 'genre' or 'mode' is some kind of 'fantasy' in no way mitigates against any symbolism.  I'm wondering what I said that made that worth pointing out?  All I'm saying is that the 'mechanism', in the Solar Cycle, does *not* have to be in terms of 'scientific' naturalism.  There are surely 'occult', or 'preternatural' forces at work in this series, in addition to and in conjunction with mega-futuristic super-science.

-DOJP: http://www.urth.net

I was pointing out that in addition to symbolic levels there are usually obscured MECHANISTIC ones (hot gas making a tent rise, in that case) that are also at work in New Sun.  The puzzle was whether the miracles of the claw where cellular rearrangements or simply a pocket time dilation device (fueled not by the claw but by the resonance between the Conciliator's blood and the white fountain and existing across many times).  There are mechanistic explanations in Wolfe, it's not just "magic".  Though it may at times be apotropaic and dualistic in nature, it can often be linked to cause and effect.