(urth) Seawrack and the Mother

Mark Millman markjmillman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 12:49:39 PDT 2012

Folks,

And later, Lee Berman wrote (not as a direct reply):

> . . . Regarding Babbie's apparent guilt over Seawrack,
> I dunno. It sounds familiar but I was reading ahead and
> couldn't find where that is described. Seawrack is ini-
> tially afraid of Babbie. But even if it was Babbie who re-
> moved Seawrack's arm rather than Horn's shot, I don't
> see how that changes things much. It still seems like-
> ly that Seawrack was on the "pirate ship" which was
> The Mother and had been following Horn's ship for a
> while before taking permanent residence.

Here's an alternative hypothesis that may explain all of the observed
facts, and may have the additional benefit of shedding light on
Seawrack's name:

The pirate ship is just that:  a pirate ship.  (Whether the Mother may
have any influence over its crew or the crew's actions is another
question.)  Horn's shot kills or knocks overboard the girl pirate, who
(or whose body) is then used by the Mother to create Seawrack, her
agent.  The first time that Seawrack tries to climb on to Horn's
sloop, Babbie attacks her (whether he recognizes her as the pirate
girl isn't important to this idea) and severs her arm.  She returns to
the sea, where the Mother repairs Seawrack to the extent of sealing
the wound, and sends her back to Horn's sloop.

Given Seawrack's name, I suspect that Horn's shot killed the pirate
girl, but it's not, strictly speaking, necessary that it did.

Best,

Mark Millman