(urth) Seawrack and the Mother

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue Sep 18 12:07:27 PDT 2012

I'm sorry, but how does a stump from a limb torn off by teeth look
different from a stump from a limb torn off by a shot?

I think it would be more profitable, if we are to consider Lee's theory,
to determine things like whether Horn's gun was capable of such a thing,
and how Seawrack's physiology would respond to a shot in the first
place, and what effects it would have had on Babbie. I think it unlikely
that Horn was carrying a gun big enough to do this to a human arm.

But the larger point is that once again we have two parallel
plausibilities and little help from the narrator. We also have a plain
indeterminacy: if Seawrack was not the pirate girl, then why does Wolfe
put them so close together? What happened to the girl and where did
Seawrack come from? Wolfe does this all the time with his characters.

Furthermore, is it too complex to suggest that Babbie attacked Seawrack
because he recognized her as the pirate girl Horn shot at? If he hit her
in the arm, Babbie would have known who it was, smelled blood, and torn
it off defending the boat. Her arm could have suffered both injuries
without messing up anything [this last is in partial response to Sergei,
whose perspective on this scene baffles me though I understand his
reaction to Leeism]. A gunshot wound would explain why she wanted to get
on the boat.