(urth) Seawrack and the Mother

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 3 21:08:42 PDT 2012

Yeah, it's a common trope, but it helps me grind my Milton/Wolfe axe...at least in my head.

As for the higher/lower, Wizard Knight is the main idea. But Briah/Yesod fit something along those lines. Honestly, it's Milton's monism that makes me find the most compelling connection to Wolfe. I've always wondered if there's a "theory" of fantasy/magic/supernatural/spiritual in Wolfe that is something like the monism Milton outlines in _Christian Doctrine_. The way Milton describes it, the moral character of a material body affects its spiritual capacity, which is an interesting way to explain the odd supernaturalism of Severian, say, or the Claw, which are "magical" but only in ambiguous ways.

That's the kernel, at least. I haven't actually thought it through.