(urth) The Secret of the Torturers

Jeff Wilson jwilson at clueland.com
Sat Nov 24 17:27:41 PST 2012

On 11/24/2012 7:05 PM, the badger wrote:
> Early in Shadow, right after Severian is elevated to journeyman, Master Gurloes takes him aside and tells him the ultimate secret of their guild. We're not told what this is at the time but Severian does say he promised to never reveal it, and that he later broke this promise. Do we ever find out what the secret is?

2nd to last para of SWORD XXXI: "I had not thought, when I began this
record of my life, to reveal any of the secrets of our guild that were
imparted to me by Master Palaemon and Master Gurloes just before I was
elevated, at the feast of Holy Katharine, to the rank of journeyman. But
I will tell one now, because what I did that night on Lake Diuturna
cannot be understood without understanding it. And the secret is only
that we torturers obey. In all the lofty order of the body politic, the
pyramid of lives that is immensely taller than any material tower,
taller than the Bell Keep, taller than the Wall of Nessus, taller than
Mount Typhon, the pyramid that stretches from the Autarch on the Phoenix
Throne to the most humble clerk grubbing for the most dishonorable
trader—a creature lower than the lowest beggar—we are the only sound
stone. No one truly obeys unless he will do the unthinkable in
obedience; no one will do the unthinkable save we."

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at clueland.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >