(urth) Hard SF

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 08:34:48 PST 2012

David Stockhoff, you're first paragraph made me 'LOL' as they say (in spite
of its wrong Robinson).

David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net> wrote:
'If the story always comes first, the result can't ever be hard SF.'

That would explain why I still haven't found any I enjoy reading.

António Pedro Marques wrote:

>  for me, 'hard sf' is that where the workings of science itself are a
> major driver of the plot. Little to do with being science-'realistic',
> except as an almost necessary implication.

That's probably more fair to hard s.f.ers.  What the world needs is a
science fiction writer who is gifted and trained in the sciences but who is
also a mystic and poet - THAT is hard s.f. that I'd read and delight in.

(But I do like that Wolfe tends to have plenty of genuinely 'sciencey'
stuff going on in the backgrounds of his narratives.)

-DOJP

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 3:20 AM, David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net>wrote:

> Yes, I agree. Science realism is after all impossible, if you are
> proposing scientific impossibilities such as FTL.
>

> On 11/28/2012 8:56 PM, António Pedro Marques wrote:
>
>> I think I've said this a number of times but, for me, 'hard sf' is that
>> where the workings of science itself are a major driver of the plot. Little
>> to do with being science-'realistic', except as an almost necessary
>> implication. In that regard, Wolfe's work is not hard sf.
>>
>> No dia 28/11/2012, às 22:55, David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net<mailto:
>> dstockhoff at verizon.net**>> escreveu:
>>

>> That is, the "medium" of physics-driven fiction is not the message, which
>>> is the case with true hard SF. Wolfe works hard to reconcile myth with
>>> physical plausibility to make a story "work." You can see the tension
>>> between them, but he never abandons one for the other.
>>>
>>> On 11/28/2012 12:04 PM, DAVID STOCKHOFF wrote:

Daniel Otto Jack Petersen