(urth) What symbols mean for Wolfe

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 12:28:44 PST 2012

A universe with a preferred history has the advantage of being
scientifically compatible with some kind of Judeo-Christian deity who can
be seen as selecting the best of all possible histories at the end of time,
along the lines of Teilhard's Omega Point.  I don't know whether Wolfe was
thinking along those lines.

Hm.  I still haven't familiarised myself with Teilhard's thought, but what
you describe there sounds a bit like what I understand to be the Molinist
or Middle Knowledge account of election and freewill. I wonder whether that
could 'solve' the time travel element (making it work with some amount of
libertarian freedom of choice) and whether Wolfe might *possibly* have had
such a thing in mind?  (Molina was a Jesuit, so...?)

-DOJP

--
Daniel Otto Jack Petersen