(urth) Lake of Birds

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Mon May 28 14:37:07 PDT 2012

No dia 28/05/2012, às 22:23, Bruno de Albuquerque Furtado <meuemaildobruno at gmail.com> escreveu:

> "Ha! You're clearly unfamiliar with the view that there are no 'rather's - every (un)thinkable hypothesis has as much or more weight than the clearly laid out sequence of events in the text."
>
> I am beginning to sense some irony and cynicism in your comments... No, probably just imagining it.

I'm not the kind to engage in public sex!
It is generally accepted that any given thing in a good book may have more than one valid interpretation, not only like Aristotle's things that may have several causes, but also like Gandalf's name Incanus which may be Quenya or Latin, or like Orthanc's name which also has more than one reading. In this latter sense, Wolfe's books are a bit special in that it is generally agreed that all the alternative readings can coexist, rather than only one of them being valid depending on perspective. BUT some take this too far, almost to a caricature, and some caricatures are Lesser than their originals.