(urth) Lake of Birds

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue May 22 05:24:26 PDT 2012

On 5/22/2012 7:37 AM, António Pedro Marques wrote:
> No dia 21/05/2012, às 01:03, Bruno de Albuquerque Furtado<meuemaildobruno at gmail.com>  escreveu:
>
>> Caramba, enrico,
> Na verdade é 'António', mas já não havia...
>
>> não esperava ler algo em português nessa lista. Quanto ao Father Inire, isso é uma boa pergunta... Existem várias instâncias de prolongamento da vida na mitologia grega, mas isso vale um exame mais minucioso. Tirésias é uma possibilidade forte. Ele era um profeta tebano cego, e que viveu muito tempo (além de ser ocasionalmente ressucitado), e era filho de uma ninfa. Será?
> Now that you mention him, it would be odd if Wolfe *didn't* have a Tiresias somewhere. But I'm not sure he qualifies, theres a lot going on in his life that apparently has no FI counterpart... though iirc one of Tiresias's epithets was 'father'...

Take a little trip back with Father Tiresias,
Listen to the old one speak of all he has lived through.
I have crossed between the poles, for me there's no mystery.
Once a man, like the sea I raged,
Once a woman, like the earth I gave.
But there is in fact more earth than sea.

---/Cinema Show, /Genesis

Which Tiresias? Genderbender, blind seer, mediator between gods and men,
accursed of the gods, or prophet of Apollo?