(urth) Lake of Birds

Dave Lebling dlebling at hyraxes.com
Sun May 20 12:18:46 PDT 2012

I have always felt that the Cumaean is in fact the same as the Roman
one, as literally as it is possible to be in an ostensibly different
universe. It has been argued multiple times that she is an alien
(cacogen/heirodule/...). In our history the Cumaean Sibyls were famous
for holding the books of prophecies which she ("not a native of the
country") offered to King Tarquin of Rome, with instructive results,
then "disappeared." How SFnal can you get without an actual spaceship?

Given what goes on in the Botanic Gardens, the idea that the Cumaean and
her cave might be a survival from a history not unlike our own seems an
easy step.

As for the idea that the medieval belief that the Cumaean prophesied
Christ, and that that is "the link," where does she do so in TBotNS? It
is not all about Christ; TBotNS is not a Christian apologetic.

Dave Lebling
(aka vizcacha)