(urth) teleological principals as a dualistic paradigm

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 15:33:59 PDT 2012

Extremely interesting, Marc.  I just want to know what you mean more
precisely by two terms:  'spiritualist' and 'dualism'.  The former conjurs
in my mind the believer in contact with the dead through mediums, but I see
in the dictionary it can also indicate more widely someone who simply
believes in a spiritual reality.  You mean it in this latter sense?  If so,
I assume that's also what you mean by dualism - what philosophers refer to
as mind-body dualism:  belief, essentially, in an immaterial spirit and/or
soul (a belief the majority of whom seem to not accept, since, to their
reductionistic and materialistic view, it is 'non-scientific' as you say).
 I would suggest that such 'mystery' is indeed in tension with
'rationality' in Wolfe, but that they are also in 'play', sometimes
fruitfully, creating a larger world, making a bigger better sense of things
(to Wolfe's way of thinking) even if also being paradoxical - a view
perhaps both Thomistic as well as Chestertonian.

-DOJP