(urth) Fairies and Wolfe

Jeff Wilson jwilson at clueland.com
Thu Mar 29 09:35:06 PDT 2012

On 3/29/2012 7:57 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> *From:* David Stockhoff <mailto:dstockhoff at verizon.net>
> **
>
>  > I highly doubt that there is a correlation between "losing
> technology" and true
>  > spiritual advancement in Wolfe, or entities like Jonas and the chems
> would
>  > not be portrayed so humanistically.
> Abaia, Erebus et al don’t obviously use technology either.
> Of course it’s entirely possible and to my mind likely that Abaia, the
> Green Man and the Neighbours have extremely advanced technology, so
> advanced that it looks like magic. I speculated before that if a kiss
> from Juturna can make Severian capable of breathing underwater, it may
> well be that her saliva contains nanomachines that will remodel his
> organs of respiration.

Baldanders certainly uses technology to adapt himself to the water,
Juturna may be likewise adapted with gills concealed by her green hair.

Nanomachines weren't a thing at the time of the BotNS' writing, and I
don't think it fits the retro theme to invent "new" scientific
justifications.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at clueland.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >