(urth) Fairies and Wolfe

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Thu Mar 29 05:57:32 PDT 2012

From: David Stockhoff

> I highly doubt that there is a correlation between "losing technology" and true
>  spiritual advancement in Wolfe, or entities like Jonas and the chems would
> not be portrayed so humanistically.

Abaia, Erebus et al don’t obviously use technology either.

Of course it’s entirely possible and to my mind likely that Abaia, the Green Man and the Neighbours have extremely advanced technology, so advanced that it looks like magic.  I speculated before that if a kiss from Juturna can make Severian capable of breathing underwater, it may well be that her saliva contains nanomachines that will remodel his organs of respiration.

As for spiritual advancement, the three groups we meet in the second part of 5HoC are not really all that spiritually advanced IMO.

> Wolfe is not by profession your typical
> anti-tech kind of guy - this is a man educated as an engineer who helped
> develop the machine that made pringles.

The ghastly plastic orange in _Peace_ is IMO an allusion to those abominations.  Probably it is the main reason for Weer’s punishment.

- Gerry Quinn