(urth) Oannes

Thomas Bitterman tom at bitterman.net
Wed Mar 21 13:16:58 PDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thomas Bitterman wrote:
>
> > You typed "Christianity" when you probably meant "the Enlightenment".
>
> Indeed, no. I regard the so-called Enlightenment as a fundamentally
> Christian phenomenon -- admittedly in part a reaction against problems
> in the implementation of Christianity, its values were nonetheless
> fundamentally Christian.

I had never heard that idea before.  I don't agree, but I see your point.

> > Catholicism is not anti-slavery, and in some cases can be safely said to
> be
> > pro-slavery.  See, for example, The Catholic Encyclopedia
>
> The slavery to which Catholicism was not opposed was the Roman style
> of slavery, which was more like a form of indentured servitude. Roman
> slaves could own property and buy their own freedom, quite different
> from chattel slavery.

The Catholic Encyclopedia (I included the URL) actual condemns the Roman
practice, while detailing the "superior" Jewish version.

> But this is the main reason I responded...
>
> > I just wanted all the wars to be over so that we could spend the money on
> > starships and Mars colonies.
> >    - Grant Morrison
>
> Supergods, right? A fine book...

Yup.  Had never read a really good defense of Superman before.  Read it
along with "Our Gods Wear Spandex".  Both good books for anyone interested
in how "low" culture handles spiritual issues.