(urth) Oannes

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 11:49:36 PDT 2012

> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com
> <mailto:danldo at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     The fact that we in the Western World do not take slavery, the murder
>     and rape of peasants by nobles, and so on as just "the way things are"
>     is due to the civilizing influence of Christianity.
>

> Thomas Bitterman wrote:
> You typed "Christianity" when you probably meant "the Enlightenment".
>
> On 3/21/2012 12:14 PM, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
>> Indeed, no. I regard the so-called Enlightenment as a fundamentally
>> Christian phenomenon -- admittedly in part a reaction against
>> problems in the implementation of Christianity, its values were
>> nonetheless fundamentally Christian.

Whether or not the Enlightenment was powered by Christian ethics and
world-view, I seriously doubt that the Enlightenment movement itself was
the primary source behind the abolition of slavery.  As de Tocqueville
pointed out in "Democracy In America", Christian principles had
effectively abolished the unvarnished ownership of other humans for a
thousand years until the 1440s when Portuguese traders discovered the
slave markets of West Africa and imported them to Europe.  African slave
trade was like a mutated virus that is reintroduced to a population that
had lost the ability to resist it. It was treated as a special case.
Even after its introduction, Europeans did not enslave each other during
wars. European Christian ethics and world-view had abolished slavery
before and it was inevitable that they would do it again unless the
institution was permitted to constantly flee to new colonies of European
powers.

Additionally, economics (not Enlightenment theory but mundane example)
meant this relatively new and unique version of slavery was doomed. The
enclosed experiment of the United States was proving that slavery
impoverished the states that permitted it (De Toqueville offered the
comparison of the affluence of Ohio to the poverty of Kentucky on either
side of the Ohio River). Unfortunately, since slavery in Europe had
become confabulated with skin color, it marked whole populations as
former and potential slaves--as inferior by birth. And since the
Southern states no longer had the option of selling their slaves away
(as England and the northern states did), ending slavery in the American
south would mean the masters would have to live with their former slaves
as equals (something that Christian charity could have addressed, but
which the Christian canon itself had no specific doctrine to deal with
it). And that's why the last bastion of slavery required a very bloody
civil war to be eradicated.

"When I see the order of nature overturned and hear mankind cry out and
struggle in vain against the law, I confess that my indignation is not
directed at my contemporaries, the authors of these outrages; all my
hatred is reservered for those who, after more than a thousand years of
equality, introduced servitude into the world once more." ~ De Tocqueville