(urth) Lupiverse(s)

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 16 14:24:44 PDT 2012

Gerry Quinn wrote:

> From: Andrew Mason
>

>> In any case, Wolfe fairly clearly rejects this view in the author's
>> note to 'La Befana' - while the story itself does turn on the idea
>> that Christ must be born anew on different planets, it's made clear
>> that this is a joke. On the other hand, the way he puts it suggests
>> that he _may_ actually think  the principle is true for universes.
>
> What does he say, exactly?  I read ?La Befana? online but it had no author?s intro.  [My thought was that the mistake of La Befana might be to be looking among the human colonists rather than among Zozz?s people.]

It's in 'The Best of Gene Wolfe'. I don't have it word for word, but
it goes something like this: 'This story is based on a playful
theological speculation. If Jesus had to come into the world to save
it it, what about other worlds? Does he have to come into them if he
wants to save them? ('World' is here misinterpreted as 'planet' in
order to get a story out of it.)'