(urth) Lupiverse(es)

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 15 11:47:15 PDT 2012

You're right that God the character in PL doesn't seem very Wolfean...(but note also how different "the Son" and "God" are as characters in the poem.) But I'm thinking more of Milton's weird theological writings in _Christian Doctrine_ that often got him accused of "heresy." Where it comes out in PL is more in the narratives of the creation and when Rafael describes the cosmos:

From Book 5 (quickly stolen from a random site):

O Adam, one Almightie is, from whom
All things proceed, and up to him return,[ 470 ]
If not deprav'd from good, created all
Such to perfection, one first matter all,
Indu'd with various forms, various degrees
Of substance, and in things that live, of life;
But more refin'd, more spiritous, and pure,[ 475 ]
As neerer to him plac't or neerer tending
Each in thir several active Sphears assignd,
Till body up to spirit work, in bounds
Proportiond to each kind. So from the root
Springs lighter the green stalk, from thence the leaves[ 480 ]
More aerie, last the bright consummate floure
Spirits odorous breathes: flours and thir fruit
Mans nourishment, by gradual scale sublim'd
To vital Spirits aspire, to animal,
To intellectual, give both life and sense,[ 485 ]
Fansie and understanding, whence the Soule
Reason receives, and reason is her being,
Discursive, or Intuitive; discourse
Is oftest yours, the latter most is ours,
Differing but in degree, of kind the same.[ 490 ]
Wonder not then, what God for you saw good
If I refuse not, but convert, as you,
To proper substance; time may come when men
With Angels may participate, and find
No inconvenient Diet, nor too light Fare:[ 495 ]
And from these corporal nutriments perhaps
Your bodies may at last turn all to Spirit,
Improv'd by tract of time, and wingd ascend
Ethereal, as wee, or may at choice
Here or in Heav'nly Paradises dwell;[ 500 ]
If ye be found obedient, and retain
Unalterably firm his love entire
Whose progenie you are. Mean while enjoy
Your fill what happiness this happie state
Can comprehend, incapable of more.[ 505 ]