(urth) Lupiverse(es)

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 11:07:46 PDT 2012

Well, let me just say that having recently re-read Milton's Paradise Lost
(my all-time favourite poem by my all-time favourite poet), I cannot
imagine two more opposed doctrines of God than those evinced respectively
in PL and Wolfe's Solar Cycle (particularly the Outsider):  where Milton
professes profusely that the God of his epic is good, just, fair, and
perhaps above all loving - yet one finds the actual portrayal of that God
to be very unconvincing in all these areas - Wolfe only rather quietly and
rarely overtly claims this for the God of the Solar Cycle, yet demonstrates
just such attributes very, very convincingly in the palpable pathos of (for
example) the Outsider's interactions with Silk and, through Silk as a
leader, his interactions with an oppressed people.

The God of the Long and Short Sun, at least, looks far too implicitly and
impressively Trinitarian to be saddled with Milton's monism.  IMHO.

-DOJP