(urth) Lupiverse(es)

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Mar 15 07:39:21 PDT 2012

On 3/15/2012 1:07 AM, Jeff Wilson wrote:

>>> On 3/14/2012 6:16 PM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
>>> Argh again!
>>>

>> Yes, Heiros is a bad term in this instance, since we're differentiating
>> the human creators from their creation.
>>
>> But if the Yesodis only want to ascend with the Heiros humans, why do
>> they repeat the process again and again?
>
> Apparently the Ascension isn't repeated each time. I also get the
> sense that the Yesodis, or at least some faction of them, want to
> avoid the torturous part as much as possible, thus their use of
> eidolons to supplement purpose-made hierodules and other underpeople.
> This might explain why the semi-exiled Inire, himself a likely
> replicant, makes mastiff-men and anpiels for the Autarch's purposes,
> but the Cumaean and F, B, & O work through physically human agents.
>
> I wonder which part of Tzadkiel is on which side.

As a side note, since theology has once again raised its leering head:

The story of the Yesodis at first might strike one as a made-up tale of
angels trying to recreate their Creator. This is not entirely accurate
but the allusions (I won't say "allegory" because there is nothing there
in Christianity for it to indicate, except perhaps Lucifer in reverse)
are clear.

On second glance the story seems based in some form of Platonism in
which all material things strive to reunite with the Ideal.

On third glance, there is a resonance with the story of the Parliament
of the Birds as retold by John Crowley in /Little, Big /and which in
turn resonates with the  stories of the Sidhe and their derivations. And
that resonance is this: that the fairies need a mortal
king/consort/progenitor. This connection has been thoroughly discussed
here, of course, whether in terms of materialism or genetic/breeding
programs.

Finally, one googles "Yesod" and finds something like this Wiki [with
notes]:

    Yesod

The sephirah of Yesod translates spiritual concepts into actions that
unite us with God.
[Which is what the Yesodis are trying to do.]

It is often associated with the Moon, because it is the sphere which
reflects the light of all the other sephirot into Malkuth [the lowest
sphere], and it is associated with the sexual organs, because it is here
that the higher spheres connect to the earth.
[First, I recall some debate about a moonlike disk observed by Severian
in UOTNS, so there may be a small hint there. Second, perhaps the most
significant thing Severian does on/in Yesod is to mate with Apheta.]

It plays the role of collecting and balancing the different and opposing
energies of Hod and Netzach, and also from Tiphereth
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiphereth> above it, storing and
distributing it throughout the world. It is likened to the 'engine-room'
of creation.
[Which has many potential translations into science fiction, such as a
White Fountain.]

The archangel of this sphere is Gabriel
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel>, and the Cherubim
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherub> is the Angelic order.
[Or Tzadkiel and the Hierodules.]

So UOTNS at least seems to be derived from a contemplation of the
Kabbalah, or at least part of it (and that is a significant point), even
an allegory of it. I doubt an analysis of the other higher spheres will
reveal much more of interest, but further parallels/connections would
logically suggest a deeper involvement with the Kabbalah as opposed to
the Bible or something else.

So as to theology, I suggest that there is too much non-Christian
material here that has little to do with---or even predates---Catholic
theology for it to be useful as an analytic tool beyond what Wolfe has
said he believes or that he likely believes.

To conclude, after a few more transformations, I might state the tale of
Yesod thus: Christ (the Savior King) has come and gone. How to recreate
him or make him come again?

The most obvious point this raises is that since "Christ" has already
been transformed into an ascended race, there is no need to look for
him. He belongs to the source domain and we already have a target domain.

The next is that the story can be interpreted as a kind of satire, even
a comedy. What could be more arrogant than rebuilding or summoning
Christ? And yet what Christian would not desire, at some level, for that
to happen? (Perhaps not a modern one, but certainly a medieval one.)

And finally, if you take the Wiki entry above as a fairly literal
blueprint, the sexual union of Severian and Apheta could be taken as
proof that Severian's race (just saying "humans" is too imprecise) is
indeed that of the Heiros, whether the original or the new one that is
to come. (Or not, since we know the Yesodis have been trying over and
over---but we don't know how far they have gotten before.) So there is
cause for optimism.