(urth) Lupiverse(es)

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 19:06:26 PDT 2012

I believe the difference is quite clear. While 'proselytising' authors present their worldview as being superior - which is quite lame and irritating, since the reader has no control over events and can merely, aware of it or not, watch them unfold in the way the author wants them to so they will support the author's views -, authors like Wolfe build upon their worldview to enrich their work, not to dictate its shape. I don't think one needs to share Wolfe's beliefs, or even tolerate them, or even find them interesting, in order to derive pleasure from Wolfe's work. Wolfe is not writing books to show Catholicism is great or offend non-Catholics, at all. Wolfe's stories do not unfold in certain ways so that catholic ideals are vindicated and others put to shame. Rather I think his perspective on religion poses certain questions and provides certain answers, and he tries to build on that in order to weave more questions and a number of equally valid answers into his work. If you happen to share his beliefs, you'll find that certain questions and answers resonate and lead you to an increased appreciation of those same beliefs, but if you don't, you're only losing because you can't enjoy resonance of something you don't have, not because someone is locking you out or trying to influence you.
I'm very ignorant of Lewis in order to know how he compares. I know Tolkien well enough to have much the same opinion of him as I have of Wolfe - though I also see a lot of differences.