(urth) Lupiverse(es)

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 15:36:15 PDT 2012

Well, I'm way behind in all the gritty details of this debate, but (that's
where you all stop reading - ach, well)... Just because Wolfe is no Card
(is that a pun?) doesn't mean he can't be a clearly spiritual (and, dare I
say it, 'evangelistic') writer in his own way.  I, at least, have found a
richly rendered 'incarnational' and 'improvisational' sort of 'apologia'
and 'euangelion' (yes, radically distinct in many important ways from the
likes of Chesterton or Lewis) *IN THE TEXTS* of the Solar Cycle, an
invitational and 'subversive' Christian orthodoxy and orthopraxy (be they
ever so slyly idiosyncratic) that basically 'triumphs' over all the other
systems (e.g. from polytheism to gnosticism) in a theo-comedic 'underdog'
sort of way (for those who wish to see it - Wolfe is no bully).  [Akin to
St Paul's 'cosmic judo' sort of atonement theology in Colossians
2:15<http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Colossians%202:13-19&version=NIV>
.]

I believe that this being the case in no way shuts down or closes the
'infinite play of meaning' that his narratives clearly intend to induce.
 But it does give that play certain contours and trajectories if we want to
acknowledge them.

I hope to write about it in more detail some day...

-DOJP