(urth) Saint Catherine and the Nature of the Flood

Jordon Flato jordonflatourth at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 16:05:25 PDT 2012

Jeff, yes, that was what I was trying to say.  Thanks.  I didn't take the
time to lay it out correctly.  My main point is that this uplifting of
humanity is the purpose of the flood, not just as a consequence of the
White Fountain.

Dan'l,

Clearly a lot of the Saints names were added by the translator, we know
this.  But, it's the RITUAL that I'm concerned with.  Did the translator
add that in?  Because the wheel, the roses, the striking off of the head,
all of that is REALLY from Catherines story, regardless of her name.  That
is the story of Saint Catherine.  So, did the translator completely add in
all of that for some reason?  Or did all of that stuff really occur to
Severian.  And if it happened, it is following the story of a Christian
Saint, who wouldn't have existed to generate the story if there hadn't been
a Christianity.

And, if we ARE saying that he added in or manipulated that element of the
story, then every single detail of Sev's journey becomes so suspect as to
become nearly meaningless (which of course is very Wolfean anyway).

So how about that?