(urth) Lupiverse(es)

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 14 12:55:15 PDT 2012

>James Wynn: He's [Wolfe] not primarily "justifying God's ways to man". Nor
>is he primarily demonstrating the moral & practical primacy of classical
>liberalism.

Agreed.

>Briah is far more gnostic than Christian. Gnosticism absorbed
>elements of Christianity just as it did everything else so you're going
>to see Christian elements in any gnostic world. It is not for nothing
>that Severian is named after a gnostic Christian sect.

Good points. In truth I don't understand the arguments of those who insist
Briah can only be described as a christian place. It seems like a stubborn
attempt to cling to a first impression, rejecting any and all evidence
encountered to the contrary.

>I don't detect that he feels bound to any theological historicity. If I
>believed that, then I would conclude that Wolfe has strong secret gnostic
>leanings. And I don't.

I don't "conclude" it either. But I have some suspicions of it as a possibility.
I agree he probably doesn't feel bound to theological historicity. And I agree
with you that making a conclusion about WOlfe's personal beliefs based on his
fictional writings would be an error.

My suspicions rise mostly from his interview quotes. And most specifically his
statements of belief in the reality of pagan gods. Any evidence of Wolfe's
personal gnostic leanings from his fiction pale in comparison to those blunt
statements.

This is not to say interview quotes represent any final authority on interpreting
an artist's work. But I think we become better informed about art when we
understand more about the artist as a person. Our understanding is enriched when
we know that James Tiptree Jr. was a woman, Picasso was Spanish and John Waters is
gay.

>But one should not carry it to the next level and speculate on the theological
>implications of the expanding/collapsing universes.

We'll have to disagree on that one. I think the literary creation of Yesod is an
invitation to do just that. Plus there are some supporting Wolfe interview quotes.
Apheta is a "higher being" etc.

heh. Roy C. Lackey wanted no part of that. He considered Apheta to be a bug with the
"larvae" reference and that sexual glow worm abdomen. And Tzadkiel's wings are rather
butterfly-like. But still, Wolfe calls them higher beings.)

>Gerry Quinn: Typhon is clearly human

Perhaps to you. Not to me and not to many others.

>Perhaps you should consider re-reading the book.

Mind your manners, Gerry. You've shown great improvement of late but that was a
relapse. Plus I've read the books more times than you have and I understand them
better. But I won't make the same discourteous suggestion you did. ;- )
same