(urth) Lupiverse(es)

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 09:42:51 PDT 2012

On 3/14/2012 10:10 AM, Craig Brewer wrote:
> I'm not saying you can't still draw "spiritual" conclusions about all
> of this. But they're going to be more indirect, I think, than "this is
> Wolfe's final theological statement on X." For example: Urth
> continues, and it's a better place, but it's not a perfect "Christian"
> world, right?

I think it is a big mistake to read Wolfe as one would read Chesterton
or Lewis. He's not primarily "justifying God's ways to man". Nor is he
primarily demonstrating the moral & practical primacy of classical
liberalism. There is some of that in there, but --although I vocally
detect a lot of things going on in his novels-- I don't detect that he
feels bound to any theological historicity. If I believed that, then I
would conclude that Wolfe has strong secret gnostic leanings. And I
don't.  Briah is far more gnostic than Christian. Gnosticism absorbed
elements of Christianity just as it did everything else so you're going
to see Christian elements in any gnostic world. It is not for nothing
that Severian is named after a gnostic Christian sect.

Wolfe has said that he doesn't feel an especial need to express his
faith in his writings (citing Orson Scott Card as a counter-example).
Trying to detect his theological beliefs from the setting or final
resolution of Urth strikes me as folly.

The New Sun can be most naturally read as being in our future. The
universe iterations allow you to elide that if you want to. But one
should not carry it to the next level and speculate on the theological
implications of the expanding/collapsing universes.