(urth) Lupiverse)s)

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Tue Mar 13 13:10:01 PDT 2012

From: António Pedro Marques

Gerry Quinn wrote (13-03-2012 15:44):
> > The “Failed Jesus” of every previous iteration is just one problem.  What
> > about iterations *subsequent* to the one with the Incarnation?  Either that
> > is the last iteration (which is nowhere suggested) or the subsequent
> > iterations are better than that one... and yet they also must have some sort
> > of Failed Jesus or Post Jesus rather than the one true Jesus Christ.  How
> > can that be?

> There isn't a requirement that iterations are linearly comparable.
Not quite sure what you mean by that, but the passage describing the iterations goes as follows:
“As the flower that comes is like the flower from which it came, so the universe that comes repeats the one whose ruin was its origin; and this is as true of its finer features as of its grosser ones: The worlds that arise are not unlike the worlds that perished, and are peopled by similar races, though just as the flower evolves from summer to summer, all things advance by some minute step.”

> > Also, if ours is the final, perfect iteration... well, it seems like it
> > ought to be a little bit better, doesn’t it?  Really, the universe of Urth
> > despite various SF horrors doesn’t seem especially terrible compared to our
> > imaginings of this one, or even our history.

> Again, in our universe Humanity has *just* reched the stage where knowledge,
> including religious knowledge, becomes globalised. It's quite different from
> a universe which is long past that stage. Either something good is to come
> out of a globalisation of our knowledge and values or it isn't. The latter
> view is relativistic, imo.

It reached/will reach the same stage in past and future iterations also.

- Gerry Quinn